Commercial Web Engineer
We are looking for experienced full-stack web engineers to join our commercial team. You’ll have experience working within a web development team, ideally including the ad delivery functionality, happy to work on your own initiative, yet at the same time play an important role in ensuring the success of the team.
Ownership and communication are also key. We are looking for people who care deeply about the code they write while at the same time are able to bridge the gap between the technical and the business areas of the company effectively.
You will be part of a team embedded in a much larger media organisation. We are organised around small and nimble product teams that have close contact with the editorial and commercial sides.
We strongly believe in team ownership and self-direction, and strive to provide an environment where the teams can perform at their best. Each team owns its own agile process and modifies its practices to better fit its needs.
You will be part of the commercial team, working closely with the wider product and engineering teams, building and maintaining the systems which deliver advertising and other commercial components across our range of digital products.
We need people with solid experience and understanding of full stack web development (Frontend UX and deeper application development) and ad tech.
Our tech stack includes
- HTML5 + CSS3
- Grunt, Sass, Babel, Pug, NPM
- Mocha, Karma, Chai, Sinon, Nightwatch
- Jenkins, Drone, Docker
- AWS platform (ECS, S3, API Gateway, Lambda, CloudFormation...)
- Doubleclick for Publishers (DfP)
- Google platform (Tag Manager, Analytics, Data Studio, BigQuery…)
The Ideal Candidate
What we are looking for
- Writes clear, well structured, and well tested code
- Collaborative and non-hierarchical style of working.
- Happy to learn new technologies
- Can understand and empathise with business requirements
- Can-do, positive attitude, proactive approach to problem solving
- Persistent and committed to shipping great products, testing them quickly, and iterating from there.
- Good communication with internal stakeholders, commercial clients and suppliers.
- Educated to degree level (preferably CompSci, Maths, Sciences), or demonstrable commercial development experience.
Other things we’d like to see
- Unit and integration testing experience (TDD and BDD even better)
- Web application performance monitoring and optimisation
- A good understanding of ad serving concepts and ecosystem
- Use of DfP - via the publisher console and APIs, template and wrapper code
- Integration of 3rd party components and services
- Capture and use of data to inform product development (Web Analytics, Real User Monitoring, A/B and Multivariate testing, DfP reporting tools etc)
- Exposure to near real-time data processing; creation of reporting and data visualisation tools.
- Any experience with other programming languages (e.g Java, C++, python)
In addition to competitive salaries and a contributory pension scheme, Trinity Mirror Group plc offer a whole host of voluntary flexible benefits. These include a car scheme, holiday purchase, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, staff discounts, season tickets & parking loans and an employee assistance programme.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
About the Company
Trinity Mirror PLC is one of the UK’s largest media publishers, encompassing an award winning portfolio of 5 national titles, 130 regional titles and over 500 digital products. We are experiencing phenomenal online growth, and the acquisition of Local World in 2015 has strengthened our presence in the local markets. We’re well on our way to becoming the dominant local player online in the UK.