The Trinity Mirror data unit, a multi-award winning data journalism team serving titles across the country, is looking to recruit a Data Journalist to take part in a new print-based project.
The successful candidate will be creating innovative, and compelling words and visualisations on a range of subjects for both daily and weekly titles.
- Having ideas for data-based stories and analysis, on a range of topics, which would be suitable for visualisation in regional newspapers across the group.
- Working with a designer and the head of data journalism to come up with original and engaging ways of visualising this content.
- Writing copy, as required, to accompany these visualisations.
- Working on the data unit's wider output, for print and web, as required by the head of data journalism.
The Ideal Candidate
- A strong news sense, and in particular an understanding of the needs of a regional tabloid audience
- An ability to come up with multiple original ideas for data-based stories and analysis every week.
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to work closely and collaboratively with a graphic designer and the head of data journalism.
- A high degree of skill in data journalism. This should include a broad knowledge of UK data sources, an ability to quickly and effectively interrogate data using spreadsheets, and an understanding of the pros and cons of different methods of visualising data. An ability to use scraping software, and some proficiency in using R, would be an advantage.
- A clear, precise and flexible writing style, including the ability to convey complex ideas in simple terms.
- An ability to work quickly and effectively.
- Broad interest in UK current affairs.
Trinity Mirror plc has a strong benefits package, which includes, for this role, a competitive base salary, 25 days holidays plus Bank holidays, a competitive pension along with an extensive flexible benefits portfolio (to be discussed at interview).
Trinity Mirror plc is committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process.
About the Company
Trinity Mirror Group, with an award winning portfolio of newspapers, websites and digital products, is one of the UK’s largest multimedia companies employing more than six the thousand people across sixty-plus locations around the country.
Our drive to capture, present and analyse the news inspired the launch of our very first papers in the early 19th Century. And today our commitment is just as strong. Whether via page or screen, our audiences get the trusted, reliable news service they have come to expect. Our loyal readers and advertisers are attracted by the knowledge, insight and vital services that our iconic brands provide. None of this would be possible without our dedicated employees driving the business forward.