WalesOnline, part of the Trinity Mirror Group is looking for an enthusiastic reporter brimming with ideas to join our busy newsroom based in Cardiff.
As a News Reporter you will play a key role in the future of our digital operation. In this role you will source and create story ideas that will strike a chord with our digital audience, and use channels such as social media to get your stories to as many people as possible and engage with them.
Our Business: Trinity Mirror plc
Trinity Mirror plc, has an award winning portfolio of newspapers, websites and digital products and is one of the UK’s largest multimedia companies employing more than six thousand people across more than sixty locations around the country.
- Deliver high quality, thoroughly researched, accurate and well-written multimedia content packages on a daily basis to agreed deadlines
- Write in a way which engages our readers and drives digital audience
- Understand the key ways our audiences engage with our content - social, search, mobile, apps, video
- Provide live coverage of news events for live blogs and breaking news as and when required
- Create a maintain a community and audience around your stories
- Shoot video, audio and pictures
- Source third party content, including blogs, video, audio and pictures, where appropriate to add value to content packages
- Take responsibility for themes of content, such as geographic areas, campaigns or other areas of interest, as directed by the content desk
- Build strong contacts for story-gathering within local communities
- Spend time in communities - both geographic and interest-based to promote brands
- Be active on social media, in line with Trinity Mirror policies, to build audiences and communities and ensure that content links are regularly shared on social platforms
- Ensure content carries the correct tags, in accordance with agreed conventions
Undertake company/editorial projects and any other duties from time to time as reasonably requested by management
The Ideal Candidate
- Trinity Mirror or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience)
- Excellent writing skills and experience writing professionally
- Up-to-date legal knowledge
- Good understanding of how content is shared and promoted through social media
- Comfortable at getting out and about and making contacts
- Awareness and understanding of how people use the internet to find information
- Ability to shoot and edit video and audio
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Flexible approach to shifts
- Full driving licence
In addition to competitive salaries, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Trinity Mirror Group plc offer a whole host of voluntary flexible benefits. These include a car scheme, holiday purchase, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, staff discounts, season tickets & parking loans and an employee assistance programme.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.