The Hinckley Times is looking for an enthusiastic reporter brimming with ideas to join our small, yet very busy newsroom. We have a weekly print edition and a rapidly growing digital platform in a terrific news patch. Ideally we are looking for an experienced senior reporter . However, we would consider an enthusiastic graduate who is prepared to work hard and progress rapidly.
A knowledge of news desk and sub editing would be a bonus.
The Hinckley Times has been at the heart of its community since it was first published in 1889. Our new recruit will need to be comfortable talking to everyone from MPs and government ministers to community fundraisers.
The successful candidate will play a key role in providing our audience with interesting content presented through a combination of writing, pictures, video and interactive elements.
Our Business: Trinity Mirror plc
The role will be based in our Hinckley newsroom which is part of the Trinity Mirror plc group. Trinity Mirror plc, has an award winning portfolio of newspapers, websites and digital products and is one of the UK’s largest multimedia companies employing more than six thousand people across more than sixty locations around the country.
- Sourcing original content, stories and features for digital and print
- Writing directly to the web as required to a high standard taking a ‘right first-time’ approach to all content and have a pedantic attitude to accuracy.
- Identifying breaking news by the correct use of social media as well as contacts, to know how to quickly establish further factual information, pictures, and video to enhance coverage.
- Submitting daily ideas to the Content Desk for stories that will engage our audience and stimulate debate and interaction.
- Assisting in building communities and brand visibility.
- Generating and publishing SEO-focused content to drive search traffic.
- Sourcing or shooting relevant video content and still images for publication on the web and social sites.
- Taking a leading role in creating exclusive content and developing relationships with key figures.
- Using digital storytelling tools including live blogs, interactive features, galleries and videos to create the richest possible online experience for readers.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for an interview, candidates must demonstrate energy, drive and a passion for journalism which are essential for the role. The successful candidate may have a journalism qualification, ideally to NCTJ standard, in addition to recognised training in media law. Candidates with shorthand will be at an advantage in order to be successful in this role. A full driving licence is preferred.
In addition to competitive salaries, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Trinity Mirror Group plc offer a whole host of voluntary flexible benefits. These include a car scheme, holiday purchase, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, staff discounts, season tickets & parking loans and an employee assistance programme.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.