Trainee Reporter - Manchester Evening News
The Manchester Evening News is Britain’s biggest regional news title – and we are looking to recruit a Trainee Reporter.
You’ll need to be a self-starter, a great story-getter, and know how to tell a story in all its forms in the digital world and in print.
Using social media to find and promote stories will be second nature to you – as well as knowing the importance of SEO and video.
You will already have Trinity Mirror or equivalent journalist pre-entry qualifications. We’ll give you great on-the-job training and - after 18 months - we’ll help you become a Senior Reporter by obtaining the Trinity Mirror Certificate in News Reporting.
- Deliver high-quality, thoroughly-researched, accurate and well-written multimedia content
- Write content in a way which engages and drives digital audience
- Provide live coverage of news events for live blogs
- Shoot video, audio and when out on jobs
- Source third-party and social
- Build strong contacts for story-gathering within local communities
- Be adept on social media, in line with Trinity Mirror policies, to build audiences and communities and ensure that content is shared on social platforms
- Ensure content is produced with the correct metadata at all times
- Possess a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and industry guidelines
The Ideal Candidate
- Trinity Mirror or equivalent pre-entry qualifications
- Excellent writing skills
- Up-to-date legal knowledge as it relates to the media
- Excellent ability to utilise social media for story-gathering and promoting
- Think video as well as just words and pictures
- Comfortable with getting out and about and making contacts
- Ability to work under pressure
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Flexible approach to shifts
- Full driving licence
In addition to competitive salaries, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Trinity Mirror Group plc offer a whole host of voluntary flexible benefits. These include a car scheme, holiday purchase, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, staff discounts, season tickets & parking loans and an employee assistance programme.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
About the Company
The Manchester Evening News is a part of the Trinity Mirror Group and is one of the UK's largest multimedia publishers, with an award-winning portfolio of five national and 130 regional titles and over 500 digital products.
We publish more than 150 newspaper titles across the UK & Ireland, from the national presence of the Daily Mirror, the Daily Record, the Sunday Mirror, the Sunday People and the Sunday Mail, to local favourites such as the Liverpool Echo, Welsh Daily Post and Chester Chronicle.