Trainee Story Editor
Trainee Story Editor
Newcastle or Teesside
Competitive + Company Benefits
Trinity Mirror are looking for a Story Editor to work in our new regional print publishing unit. The unit will be based across two centres - Newcastle and Teesside - and will be responsible for producing some of UK journalism's most famous titles: The Chronicle, The Gazette, The Journal and the Sunday Sun.
The successful candidate, who could be based in either location, will have both design and production experience and will be comfortable working to tight deadlines.
Our Business: Trinity Mirror plc
Trinity Mirror plc, with an award-winning portfolio of newspapers, websites and digital products, is one of the UKs largest multimedia companies employing more than 6,000 people across 60-plus locations around the country.
Trusted, relevant, reliable and essential on social, mobile, desktop and in print, our loyal readers and advertisers are attracted by the knowledge, insight and vital services that our iconic brands (The Chronicle, The Journal, Sunday Sun and the Daily Mirror nationally, to name just a few) provide. None of this would be possible without our dedicated employees driving the business forward.
Applicants should have a recognised journalism qualification and experience of graphic design would be desirable.
You will be self-motivated, accurate, have outstanding attention to detail and able to work efficiently in our multi-skilled print production team responsible for all of our publications.
You will be comfortable turning your hand to news, sport, what's on or business content and will boast excellent subbing skills across a range of newspaper styles.
Candidates should have first-class legal knowledge with a proven track record of accurate and responsible publishing.
As a trainee, we'll be giving you both systems and legal training to support your learning and development.
What you'll be doing
In order to succeed in this role you will:
- Develop allocated stories and packages for all regional print titles as directed
- Produce completed pages accurately and consistently to agreed workflow and schedule
- Work flexibly across all print publications, covering a variety of shift times
- Edit copy, write headlines, design pages, manipulate print templates across our print titles
- Ensure all stories/packages meet our print titles editorial, ethical, legal and IPSO standards and brand values, and are delivered to deadline
- Ensure effective communication with all relevant people/departments
- Ensure content is produced with the correct metadata at all times
- Maintain a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
- Undertake company/editorial projects and any other duties from time to time as reasonably requested by management.
- Maintain the highest personal standards of professionalism and integrity at all times within the framework of current legislation and Trinity Mirrors editorial and company policies
What you need to know
Trinity Mirror plc has a strong benefits package which includes, for this role, a competitive base salary, pension along with an extensive flexible benefits portfolio (to be discussed at interview). There are full-time vacancies and opportunities for part-time work.
The closing date for this role is February 21st 2017 - we may close the advert early due to a high volume of applications. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
Trinity Mirror plc is committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process.